Running a promotion
We have a fully features promotion engine built into Gift Up! that enables you to:
- Create discount codes
- Create automatic discounts
- Give away a fixed or percentage discount on a gift card, or the entire order
- Give away more credit per gift card sold
- Schedule a promotion to run between certain dates
- Give away another gift card when one is purchased (coming soon)
Setting simple sale prices
If you are just looking to set a sale price for a particular item you sell, and have it available to all your customers, follow this guide instead.
Our promotions engine is designed for much more complex scenarios that just setting sale prices on items.
How to create a promotion
You can create a promotion in the dashboard and you can enter all sorts of information, but it essentially comes down to 2 things:
Entering the triggering conditions
We allow you to specify under what conditions this promotion will trigger, including:
- Trigger when a promo code is entered during checkout OR automatically
- Trigger when a customer buys a specific item Or any item
- Trigger when a customer spends at least a specified value / number of gift cards
A customer has to meet all conditions to trigger the promotion
What is given away?
Once a customer triggers a promotion during checkout, you can specify what is given to them, including:
- A fixed discount on the entire order (only shown when the customer is on the payment page)
- A percentage off the entire order (only shown when the customer is on the payment page)
- A fixed discount per gift card
- Extra credit per gift card
You can choose any combination of these to apply, but usually you'll only enter one piece of information.
What restrictions apply?
You can specify some usage restrictions on the promotion if needed, including:
- Limit the number of uses of the promotion (i.e. first 10 customers only)
- A start date & end date
Putting it all together & testing your promotion
We highly recommend testing your promotions by placing a test transaction and triggering your promotion by meeting your qualification criteria entered in the promotion.
Once your promotion is concluded (or during), you'll likely want to know how many sales it generated. We report that directly in the Promotions page in your dashboard.